Wednesday, March 06, 2013

The City of the Dead

I found an interesting piece on the City of the Dead in Cairo just this week: The City of the Dead - Part One. It reminded me of my visit to the Northern Cemetery in April of 2010, so I went back through my photos. I have always been intrigued by this seeming contradiction in terms, because the City of the Dead is also very much a city of the living--some people are caretakers of the tombs; others are forced to live there for a variety of reasons. There are thriving communities and interesting juxtapositions, as you can see from some of these photos.

View south to the Mokattam Hills









Masjid al-Sultan Qaytbay
Goats in the graveyard 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.
Salaam aleikum!
Marie